Monday 28 November 2011

Fire in the blood

{We're too aggressive..according to that sonofabitch Havers. Tory and I, dumped out in this godforsaken waiting room while they work on Khaos. Damn fucking straight we're aggressive. That's our goddamned son in there and not even the sweet talking reassurances of the strawberry blonde nurse Havers left to play guard dog on the door are going to hold Tory and me in this four-walled, Lysol  smelling shithole much longer. Tory looks even more strung out than I am, tempers on a hair-trigger, the length and breadth paced out in a well-worn path of heavy boots, gloved fist curling and releasing, molars grinding out the frustration of the interminable, clock-watching wait. The crash team had been waiting in the ambulance bay when we arrived, taking Khaos' limp body from my arms with hurried efficiency, whisking him away in a spaghetti tangle of drips and oxygen lines and barked out vitals....at least the boy had some vital signs to speak of.. Tory giving Havers the low down on what the Chosen witnessed of Xsykhe's glowing pyromaniac talents to hushed murmurings about how these kinds of 'abilities' only ever manifested after transition. Tory's theory that the traumainflicted by the Omega in utero had kick started the flamethrower routine held weight in my book, but Havers was pussyfooting around the thing, didn't have the balls to call it for what it was..a fucking curse..a four year old with the power to reduce the Penthouse to a pile of smouldering ash over a childish tantrum? We were all thinking it.. Fuck...Fritz had been over to assess the damage...not that  there was much to assess. The Penthouse was levelled..razed to the fucking ground along with Rehv's place next door and the entire floor of condos below. The rebuild would take months. Fritz was setting up some temporary accommodation over at the Mansion, but all my brain could focus on right now was needing to know that our son, Khaos, would be ok....}
*I fucking hate this place...the clock ticking around merrily in its round face switching me back five years ago...waiting, always with the waiting, I'd been an aggressive pace of anxious female then, hanging on a razors edge of sanity for news that would change our lives forever, my soul teetering on a wire of strung out emotion waiting for Havers to tell us whether or not we were pregnant...and now...the same desperation sets in and weighs me down with concrete anxiety, fear and dread churning in my gut until white-washed walls turn a haze of blinking lights across my vision...fuck...if  V wasnt here, if I didnt want the best possible treatment for our son, that nurse would be floored and the door would be splinters of a previous protection. Havers was asking for a beating, anything I said waved to the side because I 'did not have such understandings of these matters'. I dont understand? Fuck you, Doc, you dont fucking understand. My temper had snapped. Annnd that's how V and I had been forced to this sterile cage to wear down the floor with a blur of tumultuous emotion. I want to stab something. I want to see our babies. I want to nail Havers to the wall with his own bones just for keeping us from our young....All control, all sanity is derailed at the slightest whimper, a coughing wheeze from the other side of the door leaves the nurse, Ehlena, as her name pin cheerily informed us, ass planting on the floor in a sprawl of stunned female, shifted so quickly she hadnt even the breath to draw out a warning before the door is ripped half from its hinges...fuck unlocking locks, I want in...now....but my semi-war charge is pulled up short in a skid of black soles to shiny floor, caught as I re-balance by V what I'd expected to see...I'm not sure...maybe some form of sterile torture chamber with Havers presiding over it like some white-coated gimp master, hurting our young just because they are...well...ours...I did not expect to see the big flat screen propped between two beds flashing up an animated flying reindeer with a sinus infection...and singing...that's what the wheezing cough was, Khaos, dragging in enough air so he could hum along to the cheery creepy ditty...fuck...my knees lowered me safely to the floor beside his bed, gentle hands running over little arms and little legs, little fingers in my hair as I pepper kisses to his smiling face* You scared us, baby...*and my heart flips over in my chest, settling into a normal, if slightly fast beat as nausea dims...fine...he's fine...my hand reaches back for V's, squeezing gloved fingers to mulch...we could have lost them...we could have lost them both...and I am drawn from the panic starting to rise like a dark wave of inky despair by the soft living reassurance of our boy's voice, the words so far away, muffled introductions seeping through the haze of relief...pointing me to...Kari...Fuck, I hadnt even noticed the tiny female young huddled behind Khaos, she'd made herself so small, a ball of nightdress and thin limbs, cream skin mottled in black and blue, frightened coffee eyes too big for the frail bone structure of her face. She was a doll, a broken, bruised one. And as the growl built in my throat, Khaos chattering away about someone named Rudolph, easing twitching smiles from a little girls face unused to laughter, a clashing clatter of metal followed a loud whimper, stifled my snarl and preceded a cry never heard outside a maternity ward* What the hell?!
{Thank. Fuck. My heart can beat again seeing Khaos' pink cheeks, excited laughter misting up the oxygen mask, he and his little girlfriend totally enchanted by the reindeer flying across the screen..the spell broken by a sudden cry from the other side of the curtain dividing the treatment bays..swiftly followed by a loud thud, the curtain yanked aside to find Havers sprawling across the white linoleum, hair stood on end, puffs of smoke curling up from inside the three piece tweed suit, like he's just plugged his ass into a high-voltage socket. Shit might even be funny if it wasn't for the image of Xsy, trembling, the linen sheet tucked under her chin, a tourniquet still banded tightly to her upper arm, her skin could only be described as luminous, lit from within by a rapidly fading glow, blood-letting equipment rolling about on the floor alongside Havers, who is crab scuttling back to the wall, using it as leverage to haul himself up on unsteady feet, tortoiseshell glasses pushed up the bridge of his nose as he dusts down his clothes and I swear I hear the word 'freak' muttered..or was that just in the doctor's head?..regardless the sitch has my hackles up, bristling with anger, a slow, rolling growl escaping gritted teeth} what the HELL are you doing Havers? <<What am I doing? She...umm..I do believe the young electrocuted me... I was merely taking blood samples. This situation presents an unprecedented research opportunity, it behooves us, for the sake of the race to study this female...>> {snapping off his nervous, pressured speech with a snarl} it BE-HOOVES you, Havers, to shut your damn pie-hole before I use my fist to gag it for you. Feel me? {biting back a string of profane expletives for the sake of the young, but the homicidal intent is all in the tone} She is a child, Havers, a frightened little girl, not some guinea pig for your sordid little science experiments {releasing the tourniquet from Xsy's pinched skin, her arms thrown around the thick column of my neck, legs wrapping, limpit-like aroundmy hip, clinging on, face hidden in the stubbled hollows of my throat, her sweet baby scent in my lungs, sobbing tears wet on my skin while Havers speaks in harsh whispered tones} <<I don't believe you understand Sire, the Omega had ample opportunity to tamper with the young when he held Tory in captivity..for all we know, he has planted a weapon amongst us, a seed to destroy the race from within>> {Motherfucker!!...the fear and distrust in Havers eyes..I can smell it off him..so fucking depressingly familiar..that same reeking fear the males gave off at the camp, right before they tried to castrate me and inked my skin with warnings..and banished me} You. Understand. Nothing. You. Worm. {the words spat out, Havers shoved backward by the fisted lapels of his white lab coat to slam him into the wall, pinning him in the hard diamond glare of a penetrating gaze} Your brain is too crippled by your own cowardice to see beyond your own pathetic, self-preservation {the doctor's voice is shaken but defiant} <<and yours is prejudiced by the bond of blood you share with this young, Sire. She is a dangerous unknown. You must see that Sire... she even smells like one of 'them'..and look at the colour of her blood>> {his eyes and my own cutting down to the glass vials rolling in slow motion across the floor....no trick of the bright clinic fluorescents..the liquid inside is black..black as fucking tar..black like...NO!!.. fangs bared on a threatening hiss, getting right up on the doctor, as close as Xsy's clinging body will allow} All I see is a weak male, who fears what his inferior brain cannot comprehend. You saved Khaos, Havers. For that I am indebted {for that...you live} but from now on, you stay the hell away from my family. You feel me? {crushing the vials under the sole of my shitkicker as I turn to Tory}Tory, we're leaving..let's go, true
*Ears ringing with Havers words, with his...implications, his threats, a nightmare spoken aloud and warping the room up into a spiral of menacing protection....No...she's not evil...I cant see the vials, can only feel the fury rising off V like an inferno of anger, a raging lethal mood centred and focused on Havers in a slam of warrior power...he cant actually be serious? Insinuating that our daughter, our little girl, is an entity touched by the darkness of the Omega? No...that word, defiant and absolute marking my soul in a two letter denial that fills every cell with complete conviction. If Khaos wasnt already in my arms...Havers' head would be rolling on the floor like the glass cylinders, and would be shattered..I had no such loyalties to him, no such desires to repay Havers with his life, but I will not expose our young to the brutal bloodbath of the inner turmoil writhing my gut into a clench of wrath. Swinging a laughing Khaos around to piggyback, hanging on tight over my shoulders, oblivious to the tempers of his elders, to the tears of his sister, and on a rare show of obedience, V's words direct me to leave, murderous instincts locked back into their cage and bolted, casting a single threat-loaded, emerald fire glare to sear Havers with the force of my hatred...the door creaked on its remaining hinge, barged through with a heavy kick to the splintered wood, my precious cargo still chattering his flying reindeer lyrics in my ear as we pass out into the fluorescent lit hallway, doors rolling on by, open, closed, open, open, open, closed, op-Rehv? My foot is mid-step, hovering backpeddling...brow raising as I watch the blonde nurse I'd floored tend to the singed flesh of Rehv's upper arm, his neck blistered like he'd had a run in with the sun, a sable coat partly cremated on the floor beside the bed, the acrid scent of burning hair overpowering the sterile bite of disinfectant. My hand raises in an apologetic wave when amethyst eyes turn a hard stare over to the door, softening on the tufted mop of Khaos' black hair as he rests his head atop mine. A vocal apology is stalled on my lips as V's presence takes up the space at my back, turning with soft words...I'd let the males talk...and it would keep me away from Havers* V can I have the car keys? They're tired, I'll get them out of here and you can meet me at the Escalade when you're ready...
{Handing over the keys of the Escalade and a now dimmed Xsy to Tory's arms, a hard kiss pressed to her lips with a promise of following right after, shoulder propping up the doorway, diamond eyes turned on a crispy toasted Rehv who looks like he is thoroughly enjoying the TLC from the strawberry blonde nurse.. oh yeah, he was macking on that female like she was something good to eat} Shit, man, I'm sorry, true. I'll see you're compensated for your losses {the Reverend shakes his head slow, his voice a hypnotic baritone as the hand coasts over his 'hawk} <<Don't think of it, man. The young going to be ok? That's all that matters, true>> {exhaling on a short nod, gloved palm scrubbing over the nape of my neck} They will be..once we get them away from Dr fucking Frankenstein back there...{quirking one black slash of a brow} you speak like a male who understands {Rehv levels me with that inscrutable purple stare} <<I have a younger sister. Nothing {his amethyst gaze is laden with meaning} I mean 'nothing' I wouldn't do to protect her>> {fuck..this drug-dealing, half-symphath male was no friend, no brother of mine, not by a long stretch, but fuck I appreciated the solidarity in his words, the concern he showed for the young, for family, we shared something.. both 'other' in a world that demanded conformity, I find my gloved fist reaching out to brush knuckles with the Reverend, locking onto that purple gaze, and as our fists touch, I feel my right pupil dilating, voice detached as the words spill out 'The crown you wear will run with blue blood' {his brows pull down in a hard frown} <<What did you say to me?>> {Fuck... mentally shaking off the vision, gloved fingers raking through my hair as I back out of the doorway} Nothing, man..I.. been a long, weird fucking night, true...{turning on the heels of my shitkickers, struggling with the urge to run the distance to Tory and the young waiting for me in the Escalade....}





No comments:

Post a Comment