Thursday 5 May 2011

Divine Intervention



{I am...tormented...broken…the artificial light of the monitors illuminating  my haggard features. Haven't slept since Tory was taken, eyes and cheeks sunken hollows, jaw shadowed and unshaven, leathers hanging loose on my warrior frame, hunger cannibalising my muscles, slumped at the four toys, my tortured days spent here, imprisoned, overheating the hard drives, desperate for any sighting, pouring over the Chronicles of the race, volumes and volumes of our ancient history, seeking any scrap of information that might lead me to her. The only thing keeping me breathing is nightfall, making it a personal mission to single-handedly annihilate the Lessening Society. I couldn't get enough of the hacking and slicing to satisfy the desperate hunger for vengeance eating me up from the inside out. But days and weeks of nothing and my rope is finally shredded to break-point. There is no blood link...Tory is dead...true...if it weren't for nightfall, I would long ago have taken this...palming my Glock, weighing it in my hand, flipping it over and back…I would just put it in my mouth...tasting the metallic steel of the muzzle on my  tongue, fangs closing around the barrel.. and blow the back of my head off...fuck...tears rolling down my face...weeping uncontrollably..great heaving sobs wracking my body...crying for my shellan and our unborn young and my miserable self who did nothing to save them} Fuck Tory…I am so sorry, I can't go on without you anymore. I will love you and our young for all eternity, true...


{my trembling hand knocks the barrel of the Glock against my teeth my finger starts the slow squeeze on the trigger, hand unsteady... resolve rock solid. The sound is deafening, the white light explosive, Glock jerked from my mouth by invisible hands as the Scribe Virgin appears before me, hood down, her transparent face a mask of horror}<<No Vishous! You must not do this...my... son..>> {my voice is flat, unfocussed diamond eyes lifting to meet the ethereal glowing face of my maker, creator of the race, my...mother} She is dead. I have no reason to live. You're just a little late, true. Where were you...mahmen? Where the fuck were you when he took my shellan and your unborn grandchild? You let him do God only knows what unspeakable things to them…you let them die and you did... NOTHING. Leave me. I can't take any more…{Her voice is quiet, devoid of the normal authority} <<Your shellan lives  Vishous, your shellan and your unborn young.. They live yet and you are of no use to them with a bullet in your head. I have observed my brother's actions from afar…intervention is forbidden, beyond what I may do...balance must be preserved>>


 {My head is spinning with the mindfuck revelations…she's alive!! Tory is ALIVE!! Hope springs up, welling like crystal waters, reviving my battered heart and I know I should be hating on my mother for all the fucking yin and yang bullshit, but all I give a goddamn about right now is that Tory is alive and fuck, I had been about to...eyes desperate} You need balance? A trade? {my voice pleading...fuck I'd grovel at her glowing feet if I thought it would help} Anything. My life for theirs...please.
 <<That exchange is not mine to gift, my son, but such a sacrifice may yet be demanded of you. My brother, the Omega, seeks the power of creation, the gift our father granted me but denied him. The blood that runs in your veins, in the veins of your unborn young, my blood, bears that potential…he seeks to harness it, to fulfil an ancient prophecy, more ancient even than I. My interference is forbidden, but this I tell you, my son. To complete his dark work he needs you, your blood. To find your shellan, I fear you must give yourself up unto his realm. But know also this, there is a truth to which the Omega is blind, he ignores the balance. For with the power of creation comes also the power of destruction, just as your gift heals and destroys. He sees only one...the one he chooses to see, the one who wields the gift of life...that is his weakness, for verily, there are TWO...and it is the second who wields the power to defeat him. There is yet hope, my son...>>

{as suddenly as she had appeared the Scribe Virgin is gone, her radiant light still burning on my retinas in the dark Penthouse...her words seared into my brain. Tory is alive. I can get to her if I give myself up to the Omega, all the yada yada balance creation/destruction...oh and fuck…yeah…she said there are two, true. Two what? Two young? Fuck, twins? Well shit!!...gathering my shit together to go weapon up and hand my ass over to the nearest friendly, stinking member of the Lessening Society} I'm coming Tory…

No comments:

Post a Comment